Turmeric is a spice derived from root called rhizome. It is native to Southeast Asia and India. It is also a perennial native plant having a long history in Ayurvedic medicine.
It is best known as the spice that gives the color and flavor to curry powder and mustard. (In Asia, curry is enormously popular in local cuisine.)
Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) is a member of the ginger family.
It’s healing properties are in its stalks with the compound curcumin and its isoflavonoids being attributed to give many health benefits.
Turmeric Pain Relief
How can turmeric benefit you and your health? Is it good for your health? Absolutely yes. Turmeric is a potent antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory. Health turmeric destroys free radicals that cause cancer and otherwise damage cells.
Clinical studies show curcumin as potent an antioxidant as beta-carotene and vitamins C and E. It also helps prevent neurologic diseases as multiple sclerosis and even Alzheimer’s. Data is inconclusive at this point but appears promising.
It also eases indigestion, bloating, flatulence, and is even effective as a poultice paste to alleviate itchy skin due to parasitic mites. Some of the other benefits of health turmeric are:
- Protects the liver from toxins
- Possesses anti-platelet properties — it’s blood thinning properties help improve blood flow and thus assist in the prevention of atherosclerosis. Turmeric also shows promise in lowering bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Has anti-inflammatory properties thus helping to minimize arthritis and other joint pains. The turmeric pain relief properties should not be understated. (The inflammation-fighting compound are called curcuminoids.)
Clearly the health benefits of turmeric are plentiful.
Side Effects of Turmeric
Health turmeric appears to be very safe. It is used abundantly as a culinary spice from Asia to America. Side effects, however, occur with very high doses of curcumin with taken on an empty stomach and could cause diarrhea, nausea, and ulcers.
Naturopathic doctors and allopathic one’s as well recommend a daily dosage under 900 mg.
Incidentally, the only known drug health turmeric (or turmeric) interacts negatively with is Cyclophosphamide.
As always, if you have any questions, please consult your doctor. If you are nursing or are pregnant, you should avoid turmeric as a precaution although if using curry or mustard powder in cooking its effects are negligible. Again, consult your physician to be sure.
Tips On Choosing A Good Health Turmeric Supplement
1. The supplements should be produced at pharmaceutical standard GMP registered facilities. Facilities that are GMP registered comply with the most rigid standards so as to minimize the possibility of product contaminants. (These are the same standards pharmaceutical companies in the United States are required to operate under as mandated by the FDA.) Nutritional supplements are not regulated by FDA and as such supplement fraud is rampant.
2. The extract should be standardized to 95% for the curcumin or better for optimal benefit.
3. The curcumin in health turmeric is poorly absorbed in the system unless combined with piperine as it is shown in clinical studies to enhance digestive assimilation. Therefore, any supplement you take should have both.
A Quality Product
After comparing literally hundreds of supplements, we believe we’ve found a supplement that meets these criteria.
A New Zealand company offers GMP compliant products. Their flagship multivitamin supplement product is scientifically formulated containing not only health turmeric and piperine but also vitamins, minerals, trace and specialty minerals, enzymes, and nutrient-rich enzymes. is a one-of-a-kind nutritional supplement.
I’ve been studying for 24 years various alternative health disciplines, namely, herbal medicine, naturopathic medicine, dietary supplements, and in general health and fitness and these are the best supplements I’ve ever come across.
Incidentally, I’ve been taking this supplement for more than a year now and can personally testify to its benefits.
I’ve experience greater energy, better sleep, better skin tone, increased cognitive functions, and overall better health.
I hope this health turmeric web page has been useful to you.
Yours in health,
Nutritional Supplement Bible.com