The saw palmetto herb is an increasingly popular medicinal herb and is literally one of the top selling supplements or herbal medicines in the world.
It is even prescribed for prostate health issues in European countries, although its popularity or credibility among the medical establishment in the US is virtually non-existent.
It is widely used in Great Britain, Germany, France, Canada, Spain, and Italy for therapeutically benefiting the male prostate organ and the male urinary tract.
It’s even been touted as an aphrodisiac although we find such a claim unfounded. Its beneficial effects upon the male genital, urinary tract and reproductive systems’ health is well documented — at least in Europe.
The Saw-Palmetto herb grows along the southeastern seaboard states of America, from South Carolina to Florida and over to Texas. It is a small, palm-tree like plant (hence its name palmetto) that has its therapeutic benefits in the plant’s dark, blue berries.
It’s a medicinal herb that was used by native American Indians and later by early American pioneers. But what are its benefits? That’s what the next section is all about.
Benefits of The Saw Palmetto Supplement
In order to understand the therapeutic benefits of saw palmetto supplements, you need to understand where it gets its power. The constituents are where that occurs. The constituents of Saw Palmetto are its green volatile oil, its steroidal saponins, resin, tannins, and its fixed oil. It is composed of 99% fatty acids and 1% sterols — the sterols is where the active compounds lie. Saw Palmetto’s specific health benefits are:
- Saw Palmetto extract prevents testosterone from being converted into dihydrotesterone, which is the hormone that causes the multiplying of prostate cells leading to BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy) – enlarged prostate.
- It is a diuretic tonic that helps tone the bladder thus improving urinary flow.
- The Saw Palmetto supplement herb helps to give complete bladder expulsion thus reducing inflammation of the bladder and the prostate.
- Balances the hormones by limiting androgen and estrogen receptor activity.
- Has been used as a remedy for colds as it helps tone and soothe mucous membranes. It has also been used as a traditional herbal for asthma and bronchitis as its soothing of the mucous membranes give it expectorant properties as well.
- According to one British doctor, it is also effective for infertility in women and can increase the supply of mother’s milk for breast feeding.
- Helps tone sexual organs due to the steroidal saponins
- Is one of the very few herbs that actually helps to grow tissue and is a steroidal herb.
- Helps increase assimilation of nutrients in the body.
- Some clinical evidence suggests it may also help those suffering from thyroid deficiency.
- Some women have used it to stimulate natural breast enlargement as well as for ovarian and uterine minor ills.
As you can see, this herb has many therapeutic health benefits but it is mostly known as an aid for male reproductive health issues. Undoubtedly, the popularity of Saw-Palmetto herb is due to the fact that half of men over the age of 50 suffer from enlarged prostate.
What are the symptoms of an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy — BPH)? They are:
- Difficulty in starting of urination
- Dribbling of urine
- Lessened urine stream power
- Frequent urination
Do Saw Palmetto supplements work? Yes, they do and it’s been proven in clinical research.
Side Effects of Saw Palmetto Supplement & Precautions & Guidelines
Due to its hormonal effects, pregnant women should not use it. We advise before using any powerful herb like Saw-Palmetto that you first consult with your physician. Err on the side of caution. Specific reported side effects of the usage of this potent herb include, headaches, nausea, stomach upset, and dizziness. All in all, it is a very safe herb with the reporting of side effects being very rare.
While Saw-Palmetto does work for BPH, many do not know that Beta Sitosterol is a compound that is actually thousands of times even more powerful than Saw Palmetto. Beta Sitosterol basically is a highly concentrated compound of the active sterols, which as mentioned earlier in this article is where the therapeutic benefits lie.
This is important for with Beta Sitosterol, you’re getting the highly concentrated active compounds or sterols. Clinical tests have proven Beta Sitosterol actually far exceeds Saw Palmetto for the prevention of BPH. Ideally, it would be best to use a supplement that had both Beta Sitosterol and Saw-Palmetto herb together for maximum effectiveness.
Selecting Good Saw Palmetto Supplements & a Beta Sitosterol Supplement
Before you buy any supplement, make sure the supplements are produced at pharmaceutical standard GMP registered facilities. Facilities that are GMP registered comply with the most rigid standards so as to minimize the possibility of product contaminants. These are the same standards pharmaceutical companies in the United States are required to operate under as mandated by the FDA.
Nutritional supplements are not regulated by FDA and as such supplement and herbal fraud is rampant with many so-called supplements containing contaminants with 1 in 5 not having the ingredients as proclaimed on the label! Lastly, make sure the supplement does not contain any fillers or additives such as sucrose (sugar), starch, gluten, silica (sand) or any other artificial colors, dyes, or flavors.
After a significant amount of research, we finally came across a company that offers GMP compliant products, and meets all the above criteria. Their world-class nutraceutical multivitamin for men product not only has Beta Sitosterol, Lycopene, but also Saw Palmetto, Corn Silk and other male health specific nutrients.
This multivitamin multimineral supplement is a scientifically formulated containing a full spectrum of vitamins, minerals, trace and specialty minerals, and nutrient-rich enzymes.
I’ve been using it and can testify as to its effects on BPH for I had that very problem, which is now in decline due to a daily regime of this Beta Sitosterol and Saw Palmetto supplement.
I hope this Saw Palmetto web page has been useful to you.
Yours in health,