Approximately 6 million Americans suffer from macular degeneration and millions more abroad. Some believe there is no cure for macular degeneration.
We disagree for we’ve personally experienced the power of medicinal herbs that can dramatically help reverse eyesight health issues. This is possible with the right herbal compounds used as an eyewash as well as a diet rich in eye-health nutrients.
Truly, many take eye health for granted. Many are born with eye deficiencies (ourselves included) but many eye problems are worsened through constant exposure to computer monitors, TVs, in adequate eye protection from the sun, and so on.
Macular degeneration supplements are no longer a luxury but a necessity. What causes macular degeneration?
The main damage in macular degeneration is caused primarily by unstable oxygen molecules called free radicals. Free radicals are dangerous to all cells, not just eye cells.
Free radicals are a prime component of aging. Medical conditions like heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes all contribute by restricting blood to the eye.
Age as well contributes to it with a full one-third of people over 80 having macular degeneration. So, what can we do to prevent macular degeneration? Improve your diet, is one thing. Reduce your saturated fat foods with healthier fare. Also, take macular degeneration supplements. Let’s now explore what key nutrients you need in a good macular degeneration vitamin.
Macular Degeneration Supplements: Key Nutrients
The key nutrients in good macular degeneration supplements are bilberry, grape seed extract, gingko biloba, selenium, copper, zinc, as well as vitamins C, E, and other carotenoids like Lutein and Zeaxanthin. Let’s take these one at a time.
Bilberry: We first used a Bilberry extract for our eyes literally over 24 years ago and became convinced of its eye health giving powers then. One of the editors of this site was born with “lazy eye” and is legally blind in that eye. It actually improved his eyesight enough to be able to play sports. Bilberry is an herb that seems designed just for the eye having antioxidant compounds that improve blood flow to the eye.
- Selenium: A powerful antioxidant that slows cellular decay, including ocular or eye cells.
- Copper: Copper doesn’t have any specific capability for preventing macular degeneration, but it does work synergistically with Zinc. See comments after “NOTE” in the Zinc description.
- Zinc: Zinc is necessary for all but especially for those advancing with age. Zinc slows the progress of macular degeneration. NOTE: If taken for a month or more, Zinc should be combined with copper as zinc will reduce the body’s absorption of copper.)
- Vitamin C: A powerful vitamin that serves many uses. Also an antioxidant, its power is amplified with flavonoids like grade seed extract.
- Vitamin E: This powerhouse vitamin is probably the most powerful antioxidant among vitamins (although other non-vitamins are actually hundreds of times more powerful). Its antioxidant protection preserves eye cell health but also the retina and optic nerve as well.
- Zeaxanthin: A carotenoid found in leafy green vegetables but also in peaches, corn, peppers, studies strongly suggest it decreases macular degeneration in people — especially those over 50. Zeaxanthin stores tend to decline in those middle aged and beyond. Supplementation is recommended for this vital nutrient.
- Lutein: Lutein is an antioxidizing carotenoid that limits the harm caused by ultraviolet rays. As an antioxidant, it also helps to destroy free radicals that cause eye cell damage as well. Stores of this vital carotenoid tend to diminish the older one gets. Supplementation is recommended.
- Gingko Biloba: One of the most powerful herbs in the world. This multitalented herb is good for improving mental function by improving blood flow not only to the brain, but all over the body. It is also a powerful antioxidant.
- Grape Seed Extract: this substance is rich in flavonoids and phytochemicals that possess antioxidant abilities. Something called proanthocyanidins (PCOs) are believed to improve blood circulation and to help strengthen the blood vessels in the eyes as well as throughout the body.
There they are. The all-star list of nutrients for the eye. Ideally, we recommend buying them all in one supplement as expense is certainly a factor. In addition, remember, they work best in concert one with another — especially zinc and copper. Let’s discuss now what to look for in buying macular degeneration supplements.
Macular Degeneration Supplements
How To Choose Quality Vitamins
There are literally hundreds of vitamins out there and specific macular degeneration vitamins is no exception. Here’s what to look for when choosing macular degeneration supplements.
1. The supplements should be produced at pharmaceutical standard GMP registered facilities. Facilities that are GMP registered comply with the most rigid standards so as to minimize the possibility of product contaminants. Nutritional supplements are not regulated by FDA and as such fraud is rampant with many so-called supplements containing contaminants with 1 in 5 not having the ingredients as proclaimed on the label!
2. Ensure the supplement manufacturer has a Certificate of Analysis (COA) on file for review by you the customer thus confirming the potency of the herbal ingredients listed on the label.
3. Look for tablets that have enteric coating as this type of pharmaceutical like coating preserves the nutrients while in the harsh environment of the stomach acids, allowing it to go safely to the upper intestine where it is then released in the blood stream. (This lack of protection is why 90% of all vitamins are excreted out as waste.)
Macular Degeneration Vitamins
There is a company that does provide all the above criteria as well as all of the nutrients discussed earlier on this page. That company is based in New Zealand that has FDA-like requirements for their supplements. Their multivitamin product is the most holistic, complete all-in-one multivitamin we’ve ever found.
It has all the vitamins, minerals, amino acids, trace nutrients, and potent herbal extracts you need for not only reversing or staving off macular degeneration and eye health, but it also has a complete synergistic blend of nutrients that work interdependently with each other.
In all honesty, the editors of this site do not suffer from macular degeneration, but we do take this New Zealand company’s multivitamin (and other products) and have for over a year with excellent results.
Before I found this vitamin supplement, I was taking literally about eight different supplements. Now, I don’t have to as this supplement provides a full spectrum of nutrients.
I hope this Macular Degeneration Supplements web page has been useful to you.
Yours in health, hope, and harmony,