Important L-Lysine Benefits Info You Need to Know About
The health benefits of L-Lysine are significant. Before we get into the functions and benefits of L-Lysine, let’s first discuss some of its basics as to what it is and why it’s important for your health.
L-Lysine, which is sometimes misspelled as “lysine,” is simply put, an essential amino acid. It also is called by many names that can sometimes confuse.
The list as to how it is sometimes called includes:
All mean the same thing. However, it is most well known as simply L-Lysine and that’s how I’ll refer to it in this article. This non-descript amino acid is, in fact, one of many amino acids that the body needs for constant tissue repair and for growth as well (especially for athletes and bodybuilders).
Furthermore, L-Lysine in the body must be acquired from food and/or supplementation. Indeed, amino acids are the core, building blocks of protein. In fact, protein is basically composed of amino acids.
Their purpose and function is to assist in the growth and core maintenance of cells throughout the body, but it’s also a key player in production of hormones, antibodies, and enzymes.
Functions & Benefits of L-Lysine
The benefits of l-lysine are extremely focused. Without any further adieu, here are the most significant L-Lysine health benefits you should be aware of:
- L-Lysine is a natural help for shingles. Shingles lesions are painful due to reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus. L-Lysine appears to help treat the eruption of shingles. However, there still needs to be more research conducted to definitively proclaim it a major factor. Many have used steroids an antiviral drugs as well. Herbalists say an abundance of L-Lysine is helpful, too.
- L-Lysine health purposes include reducing the severity of herpes-related cold sores. L-Lysine inhibits the herpes virus. It prevents and relieves cold sores around genital areas, which are type 2 herpes as well as helping type 1 herpes, which is not as harsh as type 2.
- L-Lysine also includes a role in promoting good bone health.
- As L-Lysine is necessary for collagen synthesis, it has a role to play in healthy skin, ligaments, and tendons.
- L-Lysine also helps in the treatment and healing of general cold sores and canker sores.
The richest sources of L-Lysine are red meats, fish, milk, eggs, cheese, beans, lentils, peas, etc. L-Lysine is helpful in the treatment and eradication of shingles and the best way to supplement l-lysine in general is found by taking a multivitamin that has a complement of other amino acids as well as vitamins and minerals. It’s also the least expensive way to supplement it.
Buying just a L-Lysine supplement would be counterproductive. Getting it in a multivitamin with other vitamins, minerals, trace elements and enzymes is best.
To finish my thought from its benefits, indeed, enhanced amounts of l-lysine are more therapeutic. Currently, there is no RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance) for lysine.
However, estimates are 12 mg for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. For enhanced benefits of l-lysine, supplementation is recommended.
Side Effects of L-Lysine
While there are many l-lysine health advantages or benefits, you need to be advised as to possible ramifications if there is a deficiency of L-Lysine. Researchers say L-Lysine deficiency is characterized by a loss of appetite, anemia, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, and even stunted growth in children.
Bodybuilders and athletes should look to get 100 mgs per day for benefits of L-Lysine to accrue. Avoid more than this though as a possible side effect of excessive L-Lysine is gallstones.
It should also be noted that specifically made calcium supplement products actually iinteract with L-Lysine. This is notable as it can increase how much calcium the body absorbs. Doctors recommend that one avoid taking large amounts of calcium and L-Lysine at the same time.
If you’re taking a multivitamin, you will usually find calcium and L-Lysine in it. This is not out of the ordinary but one should know truly quality supplements are made with cGMP compliant standards with nutrient interactions taken into account. If the appropriate biochemical balance is there, there is no incompatibility or assimilation problems.
As always, pregnant and/or nursing women should always consult with their doctor before taking any supplement. Anyone embarking on a supplement program are advised to talk with their physician.
How To Choose L-Lysine Pills or Supplements in General
To get optimum L-Lysine health benefits, supplementation is recommended. Finding quality supplements, however, is difficult as there are so many dishonest companies out there literally selling hundreds and hundreds of supplements of all kinds and varieties.
In order to make as informed a decision as possible, I recommend the following criteria that can help you save money as well as get the best L-Lysine supplement possible.
Here’s what to look for:
1. The supplements should be produced at pharmaceutical standard “current good manufacturing practices” (cGMP) registered facilities. Facilities that are cGMP (or as most commonly referred to as GMP) registered comply with the most FDA rigid standards for quality and cleanliness. Supplements are, believe it or not, actually not regulated by the U.S. federal government although the USP and the FDA have made strides in those areas.
2. Ideally, make sure the supplement does not contain any fillers or additives such as sucrose (sugar), starch, gluten, silica (sand) or any other artificial colors, dyes, or flavors.
3. Look for L-Lysine pills with enteric coating as this inert substance protects the vitamins from being lost in the gastric acids. Specifically, enteric coating protects the vitamins until they can dissolve in the upper intestine where they are then assimilated into the blood stream.
L-Lysine Pills Supplement
After much personal research, I’ve found a company that offers cGMP compliant products, and meets all the above criteria. One thing that impressed me straight away was learning that they have a six-month product guarantee — if you are dissatisfied in any way, you get either a product replacement or a cash refund.