Herbal supplements for headaches or migraine related issues are growing in popularity as more and more people are becoming dissatisfied with the side effects of over-the-counter prescription medication.
Many are seeking a natural migraine treatment instead of the synthetic approach so many drug manufacturers take.
This web page will hopefully give you an adequate overview of different natural compounds that can help to alleviate your migraine headache problems.
So, what are migraine headaches? How are they caused? Believe it or not, many medical researchers still grapple with those questions.
The general consensus is that migraine headaches are caused in part by changes in the chemical serotonin.
Serotonin has many roles to play in the body and research validates the claim that it can have an effect on blood vessels. When serotonin levels are high, blood vessels constrict or shrink in size.
Conversely, when its levels fall, the blood vessels will swell or dilate.
This constricting and dilating causes pain. Many experts also believe it starts with an abnormal brain stem that causes rapid contractions of the blood vessels in the main part of the brain.
The first wave of contraction decreases the blood supply and that is usually, researchers say, the first step to migraines. Certain foods as well cause migraines like chocolate, alcohol, coffee, sodas with caffeine, foods with MSG, and cheese as well. Stress and tension are certainly factors.
Migraines are common to those suffering unexpected emotional and/or physical stress.
Lastly, in women, the constant taking of birth control pills may cause migraines as there is a estrogen hormone level swing.
This is an important point in this herbal supplements for migraine web page. Still, other medical researchers believe drinking too many caffeine beverages causes undue constricting of blood vessels that causes in turn migraines.
A key point to convey here is that no one element or compound will serve as a natural migraine treatment. The title of this page is Herbal Supplements for Migraine. Many different supplements, working in unison, can help. Good health is a multi-prong approach.
And lastly, bear in mind that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Preventing migraines is a lot easier than striving to eliminate one that has already occurred. That’s what this Herbal Supplements for Migraine page is really about — giving you knowledge to prevent migraines — to give you a natural migraine treatment.
Natural Migraine Treatment Herbals & Compounds
Undoubtedly, nutrition plays an important role in any health condition. Yes, natural physical limitations, like the an abnormal brain stem may cause a condition, but nutrition plays a role to increase symptoms, but it can also prevent a condition — or at the very least minimize the effects of a condition.
In this case migraine headaches. Master herbalists agree that those who have migraine headaches need nutrients that are anti-inflammatory in nature.
Ithink this thinking has some merit. Needless to say, these nutrients or herbal remedies are a natural migraine treatment, but from what we’ve personally seen (admittedly this is anecdotal) it can be tremendously beneficial.
Let’s now discuss some of these promising herbal extracts that serve as a natural migraine treatment and are good herbal supplements for migraine headaches.
Specific Herbal Supplements for Migraine
- Rosemary. Like many herbs, this herb has both culinary and therapeutic properties. Good for memory enhancement, beneficial as an antioxidant, minimizing depression, and of course headaches.
- DMAE. DMAE is found in fish like salmon, anchovies, and sardines. It’s not an herbal nutrient, but it this nutrient is vitally important in the production of acetylcholine. DMAE is a nutrient that exists in fish. In particular salmon and sardines. In actuality, our brain already has a small amount of it in it for DMAE actually helps protect the fundamental integrity of the cell membranes in the brain. This is important as researchers say the slow deterioration of these critical cell membranes lead to aging and slower mental function.
- Gotu Kola Extract. Gotu Kola is ranked, and deservedly so, as one of the greatest herbs. Like most medicinal herbs, its taste is earthy yet mildly bitter and sweet combination. (We also make it as an herbal tea in addition to supplementing our diet with it in tablet form.) Without question, however you take it, Gotu Kola deserves to be ranked with powerful memory supplements such as Gingko and DMAE. Some of the benefits of Gotu Kola are better concentration, memory, improved blood flow through blood vessels, and general better cognitive function.
- 5-HTP. Derived from an African plant called griffonia simplicifolia, it has been used for headaches as well as migraine headaches for a long time among herbalists.
- SAM-e. SAM-e (pronounced as “Sammy”) is the abbreviation for S-adenosylMethionine and is a naturally occurring compound that helps to regulate brain chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin. It is also purported to generate enzymes that contribute to liver health and in repairing joints. (SAM-e was found in a double-blind clinical trial to be effective in relieving the pain of osteoarthritis as well.) It also obviously helps with natural migraine treatment as well.
- Yucca Root. This herbal remedy is used for pain relief but it’s also touted as a natural migraine treatment as well. Another secondary benefits is its antidepressant properties.
- Passion Flower. Used for pain relief, for its sedative properties, it also is believed to be a co-factor in herbal supplements for migraine headaches. Mainly seen as an “anxiety herb,” it is also an herb of choice for those with insomnia problems. It can also be very effective with nerve pain and with shingles. It has anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties in addition to its other qualities.
Choosing a Quality Herbal Supplement for Migraines
There are a couple of key things to look for. The supplement must be made with the absolute best ingredients including the binders (excipients). The herbal supplements for migraine must be manufactured at the most demanding facilities, which are called GMP compliant facilities, to eliminate the real possibility of contaminants. The supplement must also be formulated by top notch scientists with sterling academic credentials ideally in multiple disciplines. And last but not least, the supplement must have a good delivery system with enteric coating being ideal.
Final point: The supplement must contain a broad range of nutrients to avoid single nutrient imbalances as many vitamins, minerals, and nutrients require the presence of other nutrients for optimal assimilation and function.
Herbal Supplement for Migraine Recommendation
We’ve found a product that meets all of the above criteria. They are based in New Zealand, where they have stricter regulatory requirements than even the FDA for pharmaceutical drugs.
Their “brain” products are called Neuro Natural products specially designed for mental, memory, and brain health. These well-researched nutraceuticals are used for improving mental function like concentration and memory, but they’re also used to alleviate depression naturally without side effects of depression drugs like Prozac, and it is also a herbal supplement for migraine headaches as well. If you’re looking for a natural migraine treatment, check out their natural product for relieving migraines for more info.
I’ve been using products from this New Zealand company for a year and are very pleased with the results to our health.
I hope this herbal supplements for migraines web page has been useful to you.
Yours in health,