Green tea has been used for centuries in Asia for its many health benefits, but in the modern 21st century, many prefer green tea extract tablets.
Why? Well, there are a couple answers to that:
1) unless it’s purified some, and it is by some tea makers, which causes it to lose a lot of its potency, it’s rather bitter tasting (we add honey to ours and this helps tremendously).
2) green tea are more convenient.
3) taking a all-in-one, comprehensive supplement that already has green tea concentrate extract in it is cheaper than taking it separately. Plus, there’s another benefit: many of the compounds in green tea extracts works synergistically well with other compounds.
Green tea also usually are decaffeinated. Under the cautions & warnings section, we discuss this more in depth. However, there’s another compelling reason to use green tea extract tablets: studies show that those who take green tea products actually have more sustainable levels of green tea’s native polyphenols called EGCG. This “superstar antioxidant” helps to scavenge free radicals throughout the body.
If green tea had no other feature than this, it would be worthwhile to take on a daily basis. Why? Because free radicals are responsible for aging and green tea compounds help to prevent that, not to mention its other incredible health benefits.
Specific Benefits of Green Tea Extract
Besides widely reported thermogenic (fat burning) capabilities, there are the core benefits of green tea pills tablets that you should be aware of. Green tea is here to stay and deservedly so. It’s key benefits are:
1. Helps prevent cancer through its antioxidant EGCG, which sets in motion a process termed apoptosis. At the Mayo Clinic, the main polyphenol in green tea (EGCG) stops the growth of prostate cancer cells and in higher concentrations actually destroys them. A study at Case Western Reserve University found this as well. It helps treat arthritis as well.
2. At a study at in Switzerland, “men who took green tea extract burned more calories, including fat calories.”
3. It should be noted, however, that they also had a “weight maintenance diet” as well. Certainly Green tea for weight loss is one capability, but it also is found to be a powerful antioxidant. Free radicals are largely responsible for aging and some scientists attribute their presence to degenerative diseases like heart disease and various cancers.
4. Green tea has naturally occurring fluoride, unlike the synthetic and harmful sodium fluoride in toothpaste, and this helps prevent tooth decay and helps heal gum infections.
5. Green tea extract tablets help reduce blood pressure and promote lower cholesterol levels.
Cautions & Warnings
Be advised that green tea has caffeine. The health benefits of green tea are tremendous but for those who want to avoid caffeine, and it’s understandable as to why, make sure you obtain decaffeinated green tea. Green tea, which is made from green tea concentrate, has approximately 40 milligrams for every 8 ounces.
However, decaffeinated green tea extract tablets can be found (this is what we take although we do drink green tea as a herbal tea every now and then as well).
Caffeine is actually classified as a stimulant with a number of side effects, plus it’s addictive. Pregnant and/or nursing women should always limit their intake of any substances with caffeine. Consult with your doctor if you’re unsure.
Some supplement makers are aware of the growing health issues with caffeine and deliberately decaffeinate the green tea extract tablets. Of course, some will want green tea with caffeine and that’s certainly your choice.
Choosing Quality Green Tea Extract
1. The supplements should be produced at pharmaceutical standard GMP registered facilities. Such facilities are the standards the FDA requires of pharmaceutical companies in the U.S.
2. Ensure the supplement manufacturer has a Certificate of Analysis (COA) on file for review by you the customer thus confirming the potency of the herbal ingredients listed on the label.
3. Make sure the green tea extract is made from standardized extracts. Standardized extracts capture the core, active ingredients that are responsible for its therapeutic capabilities. Many companies don’t use standardized extracts as it’s less expensive to do so. Standardized extracts also allow you to get the consistency of the potency inherent to the herb.
Quality Green Tea Extracts
A company based in New Zealand has a multivitamin supplement with green tea product that meets all the above criteria. This vitamin supplement has not only decaffeinated standardized green tea extracts but it has over 90 vitamins, minerals, a full array of antioxidants, enzymes, and trace nutrients.
The health benefits of green tea are all found in this scientifically formulated nutraceutical.
I mentioned New Zealand deliberately for the regulatory requirements for supplements there exceeds even the U.S. FDA for pharmaceutical medications.
I recommend taking your green tea concentrate as part of a supplement that has more than one health giving ingredients as it’s less expensive to do so.
Yours in health,